Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Writer's Block

The mind does not simply block itself
when pen touches paper and nothing goes
when delete, delete, delete follow punched keys
when i breathe in to speak but nothing comes out
something is there to block those thoughts
something won't let me exhale
something is distracting my words before they come out 
they wander 
they run 
they get lost 
have i done something wrong
have i become unexplainably dumb
have i lost track of my mind
no it is my own self fighting these thoughts
no it is my own self who can't let creativity flow
no it is my own self plucking the possibilities 
the words do not come out easy

This is similar to the warmups that I do before embarking on a writing journey. Writing a quick poem or even using words that I wouldn't normally use, help to stretch my mind and awaken my passion. This poem speaks specifically to writer's block which I  fall victim to before any big writing task. I was inspired for this poem by realizing that I can only blame myself when I encounter writer's block. Poems similar to this help to get my mind flowing and open my comfort zone to new ideas or alternative ways of thinking about a task. 

I just thought I would share my tactic before moving on to my English final paper. Wish me luck! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts