Monday, April 29, 2013

Think on These Things

For the last year and seven months, arrows, carnations, philanthropies and functions have trickled through my world. Becoming a member of Pi Beta Phi has been one of the most rewarding oppurtunities I have been given, closely followed by being elected onto our governing executive board. While living in the Oregon Alpha chapter house, I have grown close to the women I was initiated next to, establishing meaningful relationships that I know will follow me out of my time at the U of O.


Yesterday, we took the day to reflect upon the establishment our twelve founding sisters created for hundreds of thousands of women across the nation, like we do every year on April 28. As my position educates women on the heritage of Pi Phi, I led the program and presented a quick speech on our dear founders. I wanted to share is here because despite Pi Phi being a huge part of my life, little things like the night our chapter was founded on go without reflection 364 days out of the year and I want to bring it to light again. 

Good Morning Everyone! My name is Cassadie Jerdin, Oregon Alpha’s Vice President of Fraternity Development. I hope you all are enjoying the wonderful brunch, I know we dream about it in days leading up to the 28th. But our celebration today goes much deeper than yummy brunch, sunny weather, and pretty dresses. Today we, along with 134 national chapters meaning over 230,000 women are celebrating the foundation of our beloved organization, Pi Beta Phi. 146 years ago in Monmouth, Illinois, tweleve intelligent and driven women decided to start the first national fraternity for women. With goals of cultivating friendship and promoting happiness, the women gathered on a warm spring evening with arrows in their hair and honor in their hearts to begin the legacy of Pi Phi.  Today we remember these women who had this unique and ambitious vision that has grown into one of the most respected sororities. We owe it to our Founding Sisters to celebrate their dedication to Pi Phi, because they provided the foundation for our friendships and our success. 

Planning the event brought on quite a few"freak-out" moments, but I was happy to provide for over 200 Pi Phis, new and former, young and old,  a location to remember that goodness comes from small actions. The intimate group of a dozen young women has grown into a vast community in which thousands of women have discovered solace, inspiration, and friendship.  Reflecting on how yesterday went I can take the time to relax and gladly "think on these things." Philippians 4:8. 

No comments:

Post a Comment