Tuesday, May 14, 2013


"For the most part, "naturals" are myths. People who are especially good at something may have some innate inclination, or some particular talent, but they have also spent about ten thousand hours practicing or doing that thing"

Meg Jay taken from The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter; And How to Make the Most of Them

While I could spend countless posts reviewing the ins and outs of the great advice to twenty somethings Meg Jay provides in her book, The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter; And How to Make the Most of Them, I'd like to focus on this specific exert from her book. Despite the endless number of motivating lines, this line struck me remarkably more because I feel it speaks to a certain myth I've been nursing for quite some time.

We all do it. We give up when something does not seem naturally easy, as if some universal force is whispering, "It's not for you... so you should stop now and never try again"

I know I've felt this way over sports, job searching, writing, and definitely exercise.  Many times I've come to the conclusion that I'm simply not meant to run marathons or be a great writer. Most recently after a bundle or relatively unsatisfying grades I decided school is indefinitely not my thing.

I have this belief that some people are "naturals" as Jay says, and that I am not meaning the task is simply unachievable. Yet what Jay says in this line from her book, shows that an "innate inclination" starts out as an innate interest or obligation. Only through perseverance do we begin to get better and adapt a talent.

Jay's advise knocks my crutch from right under me. The option to give up because something is impossible to achieve is almost a relief that helps to satisfy my laziness. What I am reminded of in this quote, is that practice is pivotal in breaking barriers in abilities and almost always successful.  Without the will to persevere your achievements in life will stand stagnant as you move on without growing intellect or the will to change your world.

No comments:

Post a Comment